The traditional recipe of Delices and Gourmandises’ Dundee slab cake
Do you like Delices and Gourmandises’ Dundee slab cake and want to share it with your family and friends? Here’s the traditional recipe which will allow you get home-made pastry while waiting for your next delivery from our online shop.
Enjoy Delices and Gourmandises’ dundee slab cake authentic taste!
All products offered by Delices and Gourmandises are using the finest ingredients that reveal their flavor and contribute to achieving a perfect bake. And so is the Dundee slab cake!
You will need:
– 120g raisins
– 100g glace cherries
– 60g mixed peel
– 170g unsalted butter
– 170g caster sugar
– 4 eggs
– 170g plain flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon mixed spice
– 60g almond meal
– 80g whole blanched almonds
– Put the almonds into a small bowl and pour over boiling water to just cover. Leave for 5 mins then drain and leave to dry.
– Preheat the oven to 150°F/gas 5, and line the base and sides of a 20cm cake pan with baking paper.
– In a large bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light.
– Sift in flour, baking powder and spice and mix gently.
– Add eggs to the creamed butter and sugar, one at a time, while beating, until well combined.
– Add the remaining flour and ground almonds. Then add the dried fruit and cherries and mix gently together.
– Pour into the pan and spread level using the back of a spoon.
– Bake in the oven for 45 mins.
– Remove and decorate top with the almonds, close together in neat circles
– Lower the oven temperature to 130°F/gas 2 and cook for a further hour. After 50 minutes, check every 10 minutes by inserting a wooden or metal skewer into the cake. you should have just a few crumbs attached, and a soft centre.
– Cool before removing from the pan.
It’s that easy to prepare exquisite dundee slab cake, just like Delices and Gourmandises’ ones! Served hot or cold, nothing could be nicer than a cup of tea and a delicious slice of this light crumbly fruit cake, for breakfast or dessert. A pure delight!